Mon- Fri 6.00am - 4.30pm
Sat 8.00am - 12.00pm
Closed Public Holidays
Hoppers Crossing (03) 9748 5111 Somerton (03) 9308 7800
  • img
  • img
  • img

What Tools Do You Need To Plaster A Wall?

No matter how good a handyman you are, there’s one thing you simply can’t live without: tools! Well, technically, tools count as a number of things – even if you have a toolbox full of the right tools, if you’re missing one crucial piece of the puzzle, your job may not be possible to complete.

So, unless you’re some kind of superhuman handyman who can plaster a wall with nothing but your bare hands, you’re going to need some A-grade, reliable plastering tools to get the job done.

Here, the legends at Plaster Wholesalers make a list of the essential tools you’ll need to plaster a wall:


A plasterer’s trowel is possibly the single most important thing you’ll need to plaster a wall. It’s used to apply plaster finishes to a wall or ceiling. This plaster generally takes the form of a wet gypsum-based mixture, which the trowel is used to spread over the desired surface.


Scrapers are another must-have tool to plaster a wall. They’re used for turning and levelling surfaces of mortar, gypsum and similar building materials. They offer a similar purpose to trowels.

Joint taping knives

Joint taping knives are tools which are used to spread plaster compound across a wide area of plasterboard – usually over the joints, hence the name. To get a nice, even and wide spread on your plaster joints, you’ll need a joint taping knife.

Jointing tape

Jointing tape is used for exactly what it sounds like: taping the joints of your plasterboard before painting. This helps smooth out the joints so that they become seamless after painting. It comes in fibreglass form, which is easiest to use, and paper form, which is strongest. It’s an essential tool for plastering a wall. 


What would you be able to do without plastering compounds? Pretty much nothing! Plastering compounds can include anything from the plaster mix itself, to the preparatory bonding agent, to the finishing compound you use to smooth out a repaired plasterboard.

Sanding blocks and paper

Sanding blocks and paper are used when sanding down excess compounds on your plasterboard. In order to paint your plasterboard, you have to make sure there are no rough bits so that the texture is nice and smooth once you’ve painted it.

Corner kit

If you’re a true professional in plastering, you’ll want to invest in a top notch corner kit like Slayer Corner Kit. In this kit, you’ll find everything you need to master the art of cornering. It features:

  • Applicator Head
  • Straight Glazer 55mm
  • Straight Glazer 75mm
  • Corner Roller with 960mm Handle 
  • Corner Finisher Handle 960mm

For 30 years, Plaster Wholesalers have been Melbourne’s favourite team for plastering supplies. Just ask Plaster Wholesalers about the top tier tools you’ll need for plastering a wall like a pro. Grab a quote from Plaster Wholesalers and get more bang for your buck!

Make An Enquiry Today

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Get Home Renovation or Commercial Building Suppliess

Rely on Plaster Wholesalers to supply everything you need to get the job done.Ask us about our free measure and quote service. Call us on (03) 9748 5111, (03) 9308 7800 or send an online enquiry today